Not Another Mommy Blog

Friday, September 21, 2007

Breathe

Well, the surgery is over and Abigail did great. It took about 6 hours from the time they put the IV lines in until I could see her in recovery. I don't have the energy to type out all the details of the day; I'll post updates as I can. I'm glad it is over. She is still in the ICU for now, resting comfortably (on lots of morphine).

Right before the surgery:


In recovery:


Finally in Mama's arms in the PICU:


More later. I'm going to try to get some sleep.

UPDATE: 2 hours later, and I've managed to get an hour or so of sleep in the super-comfy hospital "recliner." Abby also drank a little expressed breastmilk, which was great since she hadn't eaten since 3am. I really want to nurse her, but I'm afraid moving is uncomfortable for her. I want to keep her as calm and comfy as possible. Maybe later tonight or tomorrow morning.

She just had another dose of morphine and is out cold, making little sucking motions with her lips.

I have never felt relief like I did the moment the surgeon came out and said it was over and she was fine. It was like all the stress and anxiety and other emotions I'd been holding in for the last few weeks came out in a rush of joy and gratitude. Now the pendulum is swinging back the other direction, as I see her head bandaged up and watch her eyes begin to swell shut. But it's all ok. My baby girl is ok.

4 comments:

DaveO said...

What a relief!
I am so happy everything is fine now. You both need some rest now. Maybe they can give you some extra morphine for yourself. And some food. You need to put some meat on your bones. All this stress, you're wasting away! ;-)
Love,
Dave

P.S. Abby looks like a little swami with that big bandage on her head.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for both of you. I thought about you loads yesterday, and am so relieved to see a good recovery happening. You both look fantastic, and big hugs to the lovely Abby.

Helen
(Everyday Stranger)

Momma said...

Ahhhhhh Elizabeth. Its so good to see in picutures. I've been checking and re-checking this site. Thank you so much for keeping us up to date this way. It is so helpful. Now we will concentrate on praying for a full and quick recovery for Abby. And of course our prayer for you will be peace and strength. You are a good mom!

Love you both!

Anonymous said...

ha! swami! she totally does. how is it possible that abigail can look so completely darling even after surgery? :) i'm glad i thought to check your blog, i figured there'd be no WAY you'd feel like dealing with a computer right now (hm, maybe you used your iphone... heh. you naughty mac convert, you). anyhow. SO happy to read & see what's going on. oh, but i notice lily isn't in the photos. did you not take her in the hospital with you? she would have behaved well, and i'm sure her neckfat would have been soothing to all. :)
- katie

 
Footer Image